On May 16, 2001, on the sweeping veranda of Fulford Place, a provincial plaque was unveiled to commemorate Senator George Taylor Fulford. This resplendent mansion, bearing his name, reflects his status and remains a testimony to Fulford’s accomplishments.
SENATOR GEORGE T. FULFORD 1852-1905
Born and raised in Brockville, George Taylor Fulford apprenticed at his brother’s drugstore and took charge of it himself at age 22. Five years later, he was elected to the first of 12 terms as alderman. Fulford entered the patent-medicine trade in 1886, and in 1890 acquired the rights to his most famous product, “Dr. Williams’ Pink Pills for Pale People.” His use of large-scale newspaper testimonial advertising helped expand his business internationally. His headquarters remained in Brockville and Fulford himself maintained a local presence, as businessman, politician and philanthropist. His mansion, Fulford Place, reflected his social status. He was appointed to the Senate in 1900. In 1905, at the height of his career, George Fulford was fatally injured in an automobile accident.