Note: The Parliament interpretive centre will close as of January 1, 2015.
The Ontario Heritage Trust is committed to the long-term conservation and commemoration of this significant site. The Trust’s ownership of the site continues and long-term planning is ongoing.
For additional information, please contact:
Coordinator, Toronto Region Sites
Ontario Heritage Trust
In 1797, parliament buildings were constructed for the recently established province of Upper Canada. The province was then only six years old and its capital had just been moved from Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake) to York (now Toronto). Located near the foot of what would become Parliament Street, these were the first purpose-built parliament buildings in the province. Within their brick walls, discussions, debates, decisions and laws unfolded that laid the foundations of Ontario society.