Skip to content Skip to navigation Skip to search

Architects

 
1. Darling & Pearson
John Andrew Pearson (1867-1940) was born in Chesterfield, England and came to Toronto in 1888. In 1890, Pearson began working for Henry Sproatt (1866-1934). By 1892-93, he was working for the firm of Darling, Curry & Sproatt. In 1893, Curry departed, leaving the firm as Darling, Sproatt & Pearson, which became Darling & Pearson, one of the Canada's leading commercial architectural firms at the turn of the century. Darling & Pearson were best known for their bank designs, most notably the Canadian Bank of Commerce (Toronto, 1929-31) – the tallest building in the Commonwealth at the time it was completed. R.S. McLaughlin commissioned Darling & Pearson to design Parkwood (Oshawa, 1916), now a National Historic Site, including the main house, stable, gatehouse and greenhouses. Church designs included St. Andrew's Presbyterian (Darling, Sproatt & Pearson, Belleville, 1895) and Glenview Presbyterian (Darling & Pearson, Toronto, 1931). In 1916, Pearson and J. Omer Marchand were selected to redesign the Centre Block of Canada’s Parliament Buildings (Ottawa, 1859-66). The Centre Block was destroyed in a fire in January 1916.

1 record(s) found