Become a volunteer
During the 2½-year restoration of the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre (1987-89), hundreds of volunteers donated their time to a variety of tasks, including staffing promotional exhibits throughout the city, providing slide presentations, conducting hard-hat tours of the building, assisting with fundraising activities and a multitude of office tasks. In addition, volunteers assisted in recreating dozens of beaded light fixtures for the Elgin Theatre and harvesting beech leaves for the Winter Garden's ceiling canopy.
Since the Theatre Centre reopened in 1989, volunteers continue to actively participate by offering their assistance with special events and projects, providing guided tours of the complex and staffing our lobby information booth. We are grateful to this dedicated group of volunteers.
Consider volunteering your time at this magnificent complex. Check out the information below and/or complete the online application form (PDF | 64 KB). For more information, call the Volunteer Office at 416-314-2873 and leave your name, telephone number and the best time to be reached.
The following volunteer opportunities are available at the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre:
Special event days
- Doors Open Toronto – usually the last weekend of May
- EWG Day Camp – one day each summer
- Halloween Tour – usually the Monday before Halloween
- Each event is unique with opportunities to volunteer in such areas as: crowd control, back-up for tours, ticket sales, merchandisers and cashiers
- Lead tour groups through the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre and provide historical information about the Theatre Centre, its history, the restoration process and its role today
- Know the duties of the back-up
Tour back-up position
- Inspect tour route for obstacles that could impede the tour through the Theatre Centre
- Open the Birdcage Box Office and sell tour tickets to the public
- Ensure the front doors are locked once the tour begins
- During the tour:
- Assist the Tour guide during the tour
- Assist tour patrons with disabilities
- Open Gift shop and sell theatre merchandise to tour patrons
- Complete relevant tour paperwork; ensure that cash box and merchandise are secured
- Ensure front doors are locked when tour is completed
Gift shop/information booth position
- Open gift shop before performances; ensure there is a sufficient supply of merchandise; sell merchandise prior to performance and during intermission; record and tally sales transactions and balance cash; close gift shop
- Answer questions from theatre patrons regarding the Theatre Centre, current and upcoming events and productions, local tourist attractions, etc.
- Provide directions, e.g., washroom locations, coat check locations, etc.
- Re-stock information booth with display supplies from storage cupboard as necessary
- Assist Theatre Centre staff
Online application form
- Complete the online application form [PDF | 64 KB]