The founding of Sturgeon Falls

The development of Sturgeon Falls began in 1881 with the arrival of Canadian Pacific Railway construction crews. Lumbering and the establishment of pulp and paper industries accelerated the village's growth and attracted many French-Canadian settlers to the area.

  • Visit the plaque – At a rest stop with a lookout over the falls at the Champlain Bridge Lookout, First Street (Highway 17), Sturgeon Falls.

Read more about resource communities in northern Ontario