The Honourable George Alexander Drew, C.C. 1894-1973

George Alexander Drew, Premier of Ontario from 1943-1948, was born in Guelph, Ontario in 1894. Educated at Upper Canada College, the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall, Drew served in the First World War as an artillery lieutenant. He practised law in Guelph, entered municipal politics there in 1922 and became mayor in 1925. Drew was the first chair of the Ontario Securities Commission (1931-1934). Chosen as leader of the Ontario Conservative Party in 1938, he became premier in 1943 with a sweeping and progressive social and economic platform that laid the foundation for a 42-year-long political dynasty. Drew resigned in 1948 to lead the federal Progressive Conservatives, but was defeated in the next two general elections and left politics in 1956. He was appointed Canadian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom (1957-1964), Chancellor of the new University of Guelph (1965-1971) and was made a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1967. George Drew died in Toronto in 1973.


Near the intersection of Yorkshire Street North and Oxford Street, on the grounds of the Guelph Collegiate and Vocational Institute, Guelph.

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Wellington

Municipality: City of Guelph