Jesuit trade rings - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Jesuit trade rings

The Jesuit trade rings, which date from the mid-17th century, form part of the collection of artifacts from the Thomson-Walker archaeological site in former Huron-Wendat territory near Coldwater, Ontario. The Thomson-Walker site contains evidence of a Wendat village dating from 1625-35. Archaeological investigations at this site revealed remnants of long houses, middens (garbage heaps) and palisades. After extensive archaeological investigation, some researchers have suggested that the Thomson-Walker property may also be the site of the Jesuit Mission of St. Joachim.

The heart and IHS symbols (Iesus Hominum Salvator, or Jesus, Saviour of men) on the rings help us to identify them as being related to Jesuit missionaries. Like many of the artifacts found at the Thomson-Walker site, these rings may be evidence of trade between Jesuit missionaries and the Wendat people.

  • Read more about the Jesuits in Ontario
  • Jesuit Relations, Volumes 1, II and III
  • Canada: A People’s History (CBC)
    • Episode 2 – Adventurers and Mystics – 1540 to 1670
      • Champlain’s Gamble (24:50-34:06) – Tadoussac, furtrade, Champlain, founding of Quebec, scurvy
      • The Price of Friendship (34:06-41:04) – Montagnais and Algonquin, Iroquois cut off from trade, military alliances
      • A Frenchman in Huronia (41:04-48:17) – Étienne Brûlé with the Hurons, Champlain visits Huronia, Sagard vs. coureurs de bois