Burlington Bay Canal - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Burlington Bay Canal

This canal was the first public work undertaken with the financial backing of the government of Upper Canada. Completed in 1832, it ensured the rapid development of Hamilton as the most significant commercial centre at the head of Lake Ontario.

Location

On the Beach Strip or Old Highway 2, on the Hamilton side of the canal, adjacent to the lighthouse

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: City of Hamilton (District)

Municipality: City of Hamilton

Themes