Discovery of the Sudbury Nickel Deposits - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Discovery of the Sudbury Nickel Deposits

The significance of Sudbury's mineral deposits became apparent during construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway through the area in the 1880s. With the establishment of corporations like International Nickel (1902) and Falconbridge Nickel Mines (1928), Sudbury became the nickel capital of the world.

Location

On Highway 144, near the site of the Murray Mine, a short distance northwest of Sudbury

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: City of Greater Sudbury (District)

Municipality: City of Greater Sudbury

Themes