Founding of Point Edward, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Point Edward, The

In 1838, John Slocum, a native of New York, established a commercial fishery on the site of a former military reserve here where the St. Clair River flows out of Lake Huron. The area remained sparsely populated until 1859, when it became the crossing point into the U.S. for the Grand Trunk Railway. Rapid development followed and, in 1864, a town plan was laid out for the community called Point Edward, reportedly after Queen Victoria's father, Edward, Duke of Kent. In 1870, a steamship service was inaugurated to transport immigrants and supplies to western Canada and, by 1875, the town contained stores, hotels, sawmills and large immigration sheds. Five years later, it was incorporated as a village with a population of more than one thousand.

Location

At the municipal office, 36 St. Clair Street, Point Edward

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Lambton

Municipality: Village of Point Edward

Themes