Jesuit Mission to the Hurons, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Jesuit Mission to the Hurons, The

The Jesuit mission at Detroit was moved to Bois Blanc Island in 1742 but subsequently reestablished in the vicinity of present-day Windsor, closer to the defences at Detroit. With the arrival of French settlers in the area, the Huron mission served both native and European residents, and in 1767 became the Parish of Assumption, the earliest Roman Catholic parish in present-day Ontario.

Location

In Ambassador Park, Riverside Drive near the bridge, within the area of the former Huron Church Reserve, Windsor

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Essex

Municipality: City of Windsor

Themes