Loew's Yonge Street and Winter Garden Theatres - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Loew's Yonge Street and Winter Garden Theatres

Designed by architect Thomas Lamb for entrepreneur Marcus Loew as the Canadian flagship of his American theatre chain, these double-decker theatres opened in 1913-14. The 2,149-seat, lower theatre was decorated with classical details and red damask, while flowers, leaves, lanterns and garden murals embellished the 1,410-seat rooftop Winter Garden Theatre. Both theatres presented vaudeville acts and silent moving pictures until 1928 when the Winter Garden was closed and Loew's Yonge Street was converted to show sound movies. After the lower theatre (renamed the Elgin in 1978) closed in 1981, the theatres were acquired by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, which restored and upgraded the building. The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre reopened in 1989 and is the last of its kind in operation.

Location

In the main lobby of the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre, Toronto.

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto

Themes