Mine Rescue Stations - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Mine Rescue Stations

After a disastrous fire at the Hollinger Mine (Timmins) in 1928, mine rescue stations were established in several communities, including Sudbury. The stations stocked emergency gear and trained miners in rescue techniques, helping them to respond quickly and effectively to emergencies in the mines.

Location

At the Big Nickel, on the east side of Big Nickel Mine Road, north off Highway 17 West, Sudbury

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: City of Greater Sudbury (District)

Municipality: City of Greater Sudbury

Themes