Newash Indian Village 1842, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Newash Indian Village 1842, The

Following the signing of the Saugeen Treaty, the government rebuilt a former native village adjacent to the settlement at present-day Owen Sound for a band of Ojibwa led by Chief Newash. In 1857, the residents ceded their land and moved to the reserve at Cape Croker.

Location

In front of the First United Church - the site of the former Indian chapel - 4th Avenue West at 21st Street, Owen Sound

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Grey

Municipality: City of Owen Sound

Themes