Niagara Harbour and Dock Company - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Niagara Harbour and Dock Company

Local businessmen formed the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company in 1831 and began to develop a shipyard here at the river's edge. It quickly became one of the busiest shipbuilders and repair facilities in Upper Canada. The local economy prospered along with the dockyard, then fell into decline when financial troubles crippled the business in the 1850s.

Location

Adjacent to the Dock Master's Cottage, once the main office of the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company, 164 Ricardo Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Themes