North West Company Post, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

North West Company Post, The

Built between 1797 and 1800, the North West Company post at Sault Ste. Marie originally included a sawmill as well as a canal and lock. After it was destroyed by American raiders in 1814, the post was rebuilt and remained in use until 1865.

Location

At the eastern end of the Canadian locks near the site of the former post, off Huron Street, Sault Ste. Marie

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Algoma

Municipality: City of Sault Ste. Marie

Themes