Architects - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Architects


  • 1 George Durand

    George Durand entered Peel’s Art School in London, Canada West (Ontario) at the age of 14. In the 1860s, he trained with architect William Robinson (1812-94). After completing his apprenticeship, Durand was hired as Clerk of Works for the Thomas Fuller-designed New York State Capitol building in Albany. The project encountered much criticism because of its opulence and budget, and Fuller and his staff were all fired and replaced. Durand returned to London and became one of the leading architects of the era in southwestern Ontario. Durand joined William Robinson and Thomas Henry Tracy (1848-1925) in 1878; by 1880, he and Tracy were partners after the retirement of Robinson. Churches attributed to Tracy & Durand include: Talbot Street Baptist (London, 1881-82, now First Christian Reformed Church); Christ Church Anglican (Delaware, 1885); and Carmel Presbyterian (Hensall, 1886-87, now Hensall Presbyterian). Churches attributed as the sole work of Durand include Knox Presbyterian (Listowel, 1887-88) and Colborne Street Methodist (London, 1888-89, now United). Durand also designed Upper Canada College (Toronto, completed 1889, demolished) and Petrolia Town Hall (Petrolia, 1887-89, now Victoria Hall). After Durand’s death, the firm’s projects were completed by Fred Henry (1865-1929), who joined with Durand’s former colleague, John M. Moore (1857-1930) to carry on the practice.

    3 record(s) found

Go to page: