Architects - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Architects


  • 1 Henry Langley

    Henry Langley was born in Toronto and was educated at the Toronto Academy. At 17, he began a seven-year apprenticeship with William Hay, a Scottish-born architect who specialized in the Gothic Revival style. From 1862-69, Langley was in partnership with Thomas Gundry (d. 1869). In 1873, Henry Langley, his brother Edward (a builder) and Edmund Burke (1850-1919) formed the partnership of Langley, Langley and Burke. Jarvis Street Baptist Church (1874-75) was the firm’s first important commission, and was one of the earliest church amphitheatres designed in Ontario. Following the retirement of Edward, Henry and Edmund continued until 1892. Langley undertook commissions for residential, commercial and public structures, but it is for his churches that Langley is most remembered. Important Langley commissions include: Metropolitan Methodist, now United Church (Langley, Toronto, 1872 – the interior was destroyed by fire in 1928); St. George’s Anglican (Langley, Guelph, 1873); and Simcoe St. Methodist Church (Gundry & Langley, Oshawa, 1867). In total, he designed 70 churches across the province. Langley was a prominent figure in the development of the architectural profession in Ontario.

    16 record(s) found

Go to page: