Haldimand Grant 1784, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Haldimand Grant 1784, The

Following the American Revolution Sir Frederick Haldimand, Governor-in-Chief of Canada,
granted to the Six Nations of the Iroquois a tract of land extending for six
miles on both sides of the Grand River from its source to Lake Erie. This grant
was made in recognition of their services as allies of the British Crown during
the war and to recompense them for the loss of their former lands in northern
New York State. In later years, large areas of this tract, including portion of
the present counties of Haldimand, Brant, Waterloo and Wellington were sold to
white settlers.

Location

At the Haldimand County Court House, Highway 54 and Echo Street, within the area of the former land grant, Cayuga

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Haldimand (District)

Municipality: County of Haldimand

Themes