Negro Burial Ground 1830, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Negro Burial Ground 1830, The

A long tradition of tolerance in Upper Canada attracted refugee slaves to the Niagara area prior to the American Civil War. In 1830, a church was constructed by the predominantly black Baptist congregation led by John Oakley, a former soldier in the British forces.

Location

At the site of the former church and its burial ground, adjacent to 494 Mississauga Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Themes