Wilberforce Settlement 1830, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Wilberforce Settlement 1830, The

A group of fugitive slaves from Cincinnati, aided by Quakers in Ohio, purchased 800 acres in Biddulph Township from the Canada Company in 1830. Within three years, 32 families were living in the settlement, which was named after the British abolitionist William Wilberforce.

Location

On the side porch of the town hall, 179 Main Street, in the area of the former settlement, Lucan

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Middlesex

Municipality: Township of Lucan Biddulph

Themes