Wilfrid Laurier University - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Wilfrid Laurier University

Founded in 1911 as the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada, and situated on land donated by the Board of Trade of Waterloo, this institution was originally established to train homegrown Lutheran pastors. It was expanded in 1914 with the creation of Waterloo College School, which included faculties for pre-theological education. In 1924, Waterloo College of Arts was established and the following year it became affiliated with the University of Western Ontario, thus offering its students the opportunity to attain arts degrees. This affiliation ended in 1960 when Waterloo College obtained degree-granting powers of its own and was renamed Waterloo Lutheran University. On November 1, 1973, it became a secular, provincially assisted university under the name Wilfrid Laurier University. In the ensuing decades, the university has grown to include multiple campuses and a diverse, international student body. Waterloo Lutheran Seminary remains an affiliate of the non-denominational university.

Location

On the campus of Wilfrid Laurier University, near a parking lot just north of the seminary, Waterloo.

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: Regional Municipality of Waterloo

Municipality: City of Waterloo

Themes