Founding of Durham, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Durham, The

In 1842, Archibald Hunter, a Scottish immigrant, led a party northward on the Garafraxa "colonization road" to the banks of the Saugeen River. The resulting settlement was first called Bentinck and later Durham, probably to honour the English birthplace of George Jackson, the first local Crown Land Agent. The establishment of flour and grist-mills in 1847 made the town the major agricultural centre of the district. The Durham Road, another settlement route, was constructed through the town in 1849. Further growth followed, churches were founded, a school organized, and a newspaper, the Chronicle, was established in 1857. By an Act passed in 1872, the Ontario legislature incorporated Durham as a town.

Location

On the grounds of the town hall, 137 Garafraxa Street North, Durham

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Grey

Municipality: Township of West Grey

Themes