Founding of Queenston, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Queenston, The

Following the loss of the east bank of the Niagara River to the Americans after the Revolution, a new portage was established around the falls in the 1780s with Queenston as its northern terminus. The village prospered as a trans-shipment point until the Welland Canal began to redirect commerce elsewhere after 1829.

Location

On the grounds of the community centre, 32 Queenston Street, Queenston

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Themes