French Settlement of the South Shore - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

French Settlement of the South Shore

In 1749, French settlers from parishes along the St. Lawrence were encouraged to relocate along the Detroit River. Joined by discharged soldiers and civilians from Fort Pontchartrain (Detroit), they formed the first permanent agricultural settlement of European origin in what is now Ontario.

Location

In Dieppe Gardens, at the foot of Ouellette Avenue in the vicinity of the early settlement, Windsor

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Essex

Municipality: City of Windsor

Themes