Puce River Black Community - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Puce River Black Community

While the first Blacks arrived in the Puce River area during the 1830s, the community owed its existence largely to the Refugee Home Society. This abolitionist organization led by Henry and Mary Bibb offered support to escaped slaves who travelled to this area from the United States through the Underground Railroad by providing opportunities for land ownership and self-sufficiency. Beginning in 1852, families purchased 25-acre farms in Sandwich and Maidstone Townships, from the Society, which also set aside a portion of lands for the construction of schools and churches. In 1872, the Refugee Home Society deeded a half acre of property to the trustees of the British Methodist Episcopal Church. A B.M.E. church and cemetery were established on this site and served the Puce River Black community until the late 1920s. An African Methodist Episcopal church, was also located to the east. Forged in freedom, this thriving farm community produced descendants who have gone on to lead successful lives across North America.

Location

At the site of the BME Cemetery, located on Highway 42 in the Town of Lakeshore, 1.6 km east of Puce Road, west of Concession 4

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Essex

Municipality: Town of Lakeshore

Themes