Canadian artist Doris McCarthy (1910-2010) recognized that her home and studio in Toronto, Fool’s Paradise, nurtures the creative process. She wanted other artists to have the same opportunity to live and work at the site that had fostered so much of her own artistic expression.
To that end, the Ontario Heritage Trust has designed the Doris McCarthy Artist-in-Residence Centre to be a unique, living and working incubator for visual artists, musicians and writers of all disciplines, offering privacy and opportunity for artists to concentrate on their work.
The vision for the Doris McCarthy Artist-in-Residence Centre is to:
- promote excellence in Canadian art, music and writing
- embrace a multi-disciplinary vision of the arts
- animate Fool’s Paradise with a viable and appropriate use
- demonstrate the inspirational value of landscape and the restorative qualities of the environment
- contribute to the artistic and cultural legacy of Doris McCarthy at Fool’s Paradise
As part of the residency, artists are required to provide a mentorship opportunity to support the development of an emerging artist or artists.