Reid Mill

This flour mill was built on the Credit River southeast of the village of Streetsville in the mid-1830s by John Beaty and by 1861 had an annual capacity of 12,000 barrels of flour. The mill employed four pairs of milling stones, which were replaced by roller processing in the late 1800s to produce finer qualities of flour. The Beaty family and leaseholders operated the mill until 1895 when miller Duncan Reid took over the operation, buying it from the Beaty estate in 1902. Reid, his children and grandchildren owned the mill until 1965 when Paul Helliwell purchased the complex. It was sold to Christie Brown and Company in 1969 and acquired by Kraft in 2000. The original mill, hidden inside the milling complex, and the mill dam, which survives, played an important role in Ontario's commercial and industrial history.


At 27 Reid Drive, Mississauga

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of Peel

Municipality: City of Mississauga