Bay of Quinte Loyalist Settlement, 1784 - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Bay of Quinte Loyalist Settlement, 1784

This region was among the first in present-day Ontario to receive loyalist settlers following the American Revolution. Surveying began in 1783, and by the following year, five townships had been laid out between the Cataraqui River and the east end of the Isle of Quinte (Kingstown, Ernestown, Fredericksburgh, Adolphustown and Marysburgh). Loyalist refugees and discharged soldiers arrived to take up land grants in these five Cataraqui townships in 1784. That same year, Iroquois loyalists settled lands granted to them on the north shore of this bay. These and other loyalist settlements west of the Ottawa River prompted the British government to establish the province of Upper Canada in 1791.

Location

In the park beside the ferry dock west of Adolphustown on Highway 33

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Lennox and Addington

Municipality: Town of Greater Napanee

Themes