British Garrison in London, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

British Garrison in London, The

Established to guard against border raids in the wake of the Rebellion of 1837, the British garrison contributed significantly to London's economic and social life. The troops were withdrawn in 1853, but with the threat posed by the American Civil War the garrison was reoccupied during the 1860s.

Location

In Victoria Park, the old military reserve, bounded by Dufferin Avenue, Central, Wellington and Clarence Streets, London

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Middlesex

Municipality: City of London

Themes