Christ's Church Cathedral - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Christ's Church Cathedral

An important ecclesiastical centre for the Niagara Peninsula, Christ's Church was erected in stages, its form altered as the size and prominence of the congregation increased. Begun in 1835 as a parish church, the frame building was expanded in 1852-54 with the addition of a stone chancel and nave extension designed by the renowned Toronto architect William Thomas. The present nave, fashioned by Henry Langley, a specialist in church architecture noted for his masterly high Victorian Gothic designs, was completed in 1876, a year after Christ's Church was designated the cathedral for the newly formed Diocese of Niagara. Although the building has undergone various alterations and renovations since then, notably the extension of the chancel in 1924-25, it retains its handsome 19th-century character.

Location

On the grounds of the cathedral, 252 James Street North, Hamilton

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: City of Hamilton (District)

Municipality: City of Hamilton

Themes