Commissariat Building 1827, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Commissariat Building 1827, The

Distinguished by skilful masonry and solid construction, the Commissariat building provides an excellent example of the workmanship of the Scottish stonemasons employed by Colonel By to work on the Rideau Canal. Used as a storehouse during the canal's construction, the building now houses the collections of the Bytown Museum.

Location

In the lobby of the museum, beside the third lock of the headlocks of the canal, between Parliament Hill and the Chateau Laurier, off Elgin Street, Ottawa

Region: Ottawa

County/District: City of Ottawa (District)

Municipality: City of Ottawa

Themes