Cornwall Grammar School - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Cornwall Grammar School

Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School traces its beginning to an educational institution founded by John Strachan in 1803. Strachan, an Anglican priest, opened a private school in his home where he hoped to educate young men to take on leading roles in society. In 1806 he built a schoolhouse that became one of the first provincially funded district grammar schools one year later. Many of Upper Canada's elite received their education under Strachan's respected and progressive tutelage. After he left for York (now Toronto) in 1812, various masters ran the Cornwall Grammar School. With provincial educational reform in 1871, it became Cornwall High School and began a new life as a modern secondary institution, becoming a collegiate in 1925, and adding vocational courses in 1938.

Location

At the Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School, 437 Sydney Street in Cornwall.

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry

Municipality: City of Cornwall

Themes