Founding of Owen Sound, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Owen Sound, The

In November 1840, a town plot in Sydenham Township was surveyed as the terminus of the Garafraxa-Owen's Sound Road. John Telfer, government agent, completed his house by November 21 and a shelter for settlers by the following spring. Four private buildings were finished by July 1842. "Sydenham" by 1846 contained a sawmill and grist-mill and about 150 people. A post office, opened in 1847, was named "Owen's Sound" after the settlement along the Garafraxa Road from Arthur north. "Sydenham" grew as land and water communication improved and, in 1852, became the seat of Grey County. The community of "Sydenham" was incorporated as the Town of Owen Sound in 1857 with a population of almost 2,000.

Location

On the grounds of city hall, 808 Second Avenue East, Owen Sound

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Grey

Municipality: City of Owen Sound

Themes