Founding of Waterford, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Waterford, The

Settlement of Townsend Township began in 1794 and, within six years, Paul Averill was operating saw and grist-mills on Nanticoke Creek where it met an established trail. Here grew a community, known successively as Sayles' Mills, Sovereign's Mills, Lodersville and finally as Waterford when a post-office was opened around 1826. Located in a rich agricultural and lumbering region, Waterford developed as Norfolk County's northern market centre and, by 1851, contained the township hall and numerous industries. One major industry was the agricultural implement factory built by James Green, a local merchant. The opening of a Canada Southern Railway station at Waterford in 1871 facilitated its growth and the village was incorporated in 1878 with a population of approximately 1,100.

Location

At the old town hall, 76 Main Street South, Waterford

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Norfolk (District)

Municipality: County of Norfolk

Themes