Grand River Naval Depot 1815, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Grand River Naval Depot 1815, The

Plans were begun in 1815 for construction of an elaborate naval depot at the mouth of the Grand River. In 1817, the Rush-Bagot Agreement severely restricted armed vessels on the Great Lakes and the depot never really flourished. Gradually, it fell to ruin and was abandoned in 1834.

Location

In Esplanade Park, Regional Road 11, Port Maitland

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Haldimand (District)

Municipality: County of Haldimand

Themes