Knesseth Israel Synagogue - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Knesseth Israel Synagogue

"The Junction Shul" was founded early in the 20th century in a building at the corner of Maria Street and Runnymede Road, with a congregation primarily of Polish and Russian Jews. As the congregation grew, construction of this building began in 1911 and it appears that services were first held here about 1913. Designed by the architectural firm Ellis and Connery, the exterior is simple and the interior evokes the splendour of Eastern Europe. Typical of orthodox synagogues, the hall of worship faces toward Jerusalem. The circular windows are divided into eighteen segments, the numerical value of the Hebrew word for life, "chai." This is now the oldest purpose-built synagogue building in Ontario still in use as a synagogue.

Location

On the grounds of the Knesseth Israel Synagogue at 56 Maria Street, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto

Themes