Mattawa House 1837 - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Mattawa House 1837

Trading
in furs at this junction of historic canoe routes probably began during the
French regime. At intervals during the 1820s and 1830s, Chief Trader John
Silveright, commanding the Hudson's Bay Company's post at Fort Coulonge, sent
men to trade at Mattawa. In 1837, primarily to counteract trading by lumbermen,
the company established a permanent post there. Its original site was chosen by
the company's governor, George Simpson, but before 1843, it was moved to this
point. In later years, faced with diminishing fur trade, the post supplied its
former rivals with lumbermen and turned to general trade in the community which
grew around it. Mattawa House was closed in 1908.

Location

At the site of the former post, Explorers' Point, Highway 533, just north of Mattawa

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Nipissing

Municipality: Township of Mattawan

Themes