Old Mail Road, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Old Mail Road, The

Running northwesterly from Duntroon to Griersville, the Old Mail Road was in use possibly as early as 1835, although it was not established as a public highway until 1846. It was travelled regularly, despite its chronic state of disrepair, by settlers taking up land in the new townships. Only the eight-kilometre section between Heathcote and Griersville remains in use.

Location

Beside the old road, overlooking the village of Heathcote, County Road 13

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Grey

Municipality: Town of Blue Mountains

Themes