Rat Portage Post - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Rat Portage Post

About 1836, the Hudson's Bay Company built a small fur-trading post on Old Fort Island situated below the falls on the eastern outlet of Lake of the Woods. The post was moved to the mainland 25 years later where it formed the nucleus of the community of Rat Portage, later renamed Kenora.

Location

In McLeod Park, Highway 17 West, Kenora

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Kenora

Municipality: City of Kenora

Themes