Steamboating on the Upper Ottawa - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Steamboating on the Upper Ottawa

Steam navigation began on the upper sections of the Ottawa River in 1833 and was instrumental in the early development of the region's lumber industry. Sightseeing excursions also became popular. By the 1880s, however, most water traffic had been replaced by faster, more efficient rail service.

Location

On the grounds of the School House Museum, Highway 17, 4 km north of Point Alexander, Meillures Bay

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Renfrew

Municipality: Township of Laurentian Hills

Themes