Town of Niagara, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Town of Niagara, The

Settled by loyalist refugees including members of Butler's Rangers in the 1780s, Newark, as the community was then known, was the scene of the first sessions of the Upper Canadian legislature. Captured and burned by American forces in 1813, the town was soon rebuilt, and served as the judicial and administrative centre for the district until 1866.

Location

On the boulevard at the intersection of King and Queen, Niagara-on-the-Lake

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Themes