Bath Academy 1811, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Bath Academy 1811, The

On this site stood the Bath Academy, Lennox and Addington's earliest public school, founded in 1811 by means of local subscriptions. During the war of 1812, it was used for a time as a military barracks. Barnabus Bidwell, a radical political reformer and supporter of William Lyon Mackenzie, was its first teacher. His son, Marshall Spring Bidwell, who held similar views and became a leading member of the Legislative Assembly 1825-33, attended the academy. The institution was supported for many years by local settlers, but was merged into the common school system under the Public School Act of 1850.

Location

On the grounds of the municipal office, 352 Academy Street, Bath

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Lennox and Addington

Municipality: Township of Loyalist

Themes