Fort Kaministiquia 1717 - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Fort Kaministiquia 1717

A small fort was established near here in 1717 by a French officer, Zacharie Robutel de la Nouë. First of a projected series of bases en route to the "Western Sea," it replaced a structure built in 1679 by Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Dulhut, on another branch of the Kaministiquia River delta. It served as a trading post and base of operations, 1727-43, for Pierre Gaultier de la Vérendrye, the famous explorer. Following the conquest of New France in 1760, this fort was abandoned. A later Fort Kaministiquia, built a short distance downriver by the North West Company, was renamed Fort William in 1807. It became the nucleus of this city.

Location

At the city hall, 500 Donald Street East, Thunder Bay

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Thunder Bay

Municipality: City of Thunder Bay

Themes