Fort Rouillé - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Fort Rouillé

The last French post built in present-day southern Ontario, Fort Rouillé, more commonly known as Fort Toronto, was erected on this site in 1750-51. It was established by order of the Marquis de La Jonquière, Governor of New France, to help strengthen French control of the Great Lakes and was located here near an important portage to capture the trade of Indians travelling southeast toward the British fur- trading centre at Oswego. A small frontier post, Fort Rouillé was a palisaded fortification with four bastions and five main buildings. It apparently prospered until hostilities between the French and British increased in the mid-1750s. Following the capitulation of other French posts on Lake Ontario, Fort Rouillé was destroyed by its garrison in July 1759.

Location

At the Fort Rouillé Monument near Scadding Cabin, Exhibition Place, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto

Themes