Founding of Baysville, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Baysville, The

Surveyed in 1862 by Robert T. Burns, P.L.S., McLean Township was opened for settlement in 1868 under the Free Grants and Homestead Act of that year. The three lots on which much of Baysville is located were granted in 1871 to William H. Brown (1840-1920), a sawyer from the vicinity of Brantford. Brown, who filed sub-division plans in 1873 and 1875, built a sawmill, which became the nucleus of the settlement. He served as postmaster of this community, 1874-1920; as reeve of McLean and Ridout Townships, 1876-85; and as warden of Victoria County in 1885. Baysville, well served by roads and accessible by steamboat, soon became a well-known resort for vacationers and sportsmen.

Location

Near the government wharf, opposite Lincoln Lodge Hotel, Highway 117, Baysville

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: District Municipality of Muskoka

Municipality: Township of Lake of Bays

Themes