Founding of Georgetown - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Georgetown

After British officials acquired a block of land from the Mississaugas in 1818, the initial survey of Esquesing Township was undertaken in 1819. A township surveyor, Charles Kennedy, and several of his brothers settled lands located in the Silver Creek Valley. George Kennedy dammed the stream running through his property to establish a sawmill and later a gristmill. This provided the nucleus of a small settlement, known as "Hungry Hollow." The York to Guelph Road (now Highway 7) opened in 1828, connecting the settlement to the broader economic development of the province. Around 1837, the hamlet became known as Georgetown. In 1856, the Grand Trunk Railway opened its line from Toronto to Sarnia through the community, providing new opportunities for growth. Georgetown was incorporated as a village in 1865 and as a town in 1922. In 1974, Georgetown and much of Esquesing Township amalgamated with Acton and other communities to form the Town of Halton Hills.

Location

On the lawn of the Halton Hills Library and Cultural Centre, 9 Church Street, Halton Hills.

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of Halton

Municipality: Town of Halton Hills

Themes