Honourable Hamnet Kirks Pinhey 1784-1857, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Honourable Hamnet Kirks Pinhey 1784-1857, The

A merchant and ship-owner in his native England, Pinhey came to Upper Canada in 1820. For his services as King's messenger during the Napoleonic Wars, he received a 1,000-acre land grant on the Ottawa River. Within a decade he had built up an estate which he named Horaceville after his elder son. In addition to a manor house and barns, it included mills, a store and a church. Pinhey took a leading part in township and district affairs. He was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1847, served as Warden of the Dalhousie District, and as the first Warden of Carleton County. Horaceville remained in family hands until 1959 when it was purchased by the National Capital Commission.

Location

At Horaceville, Pinhey's former estate beside the Ottawa River, Regional Road 21 north of Road 49, near South March - about 20 km from downtown Ottawa

Region: Ottawa

County/District: City of Ottawa (District)

Municipality: City of Ottawa

Themes