Moose Factory - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Moose Factory

The second oldest post of the Hudson's Bay Company was built at the mouth of the Moose River by Governor Charles Bayly in 1673. That early fortified establishment was captured in June 1686 by a French expedition from Montreal under the Chevalier de Troyes and renamed St. Louis. Though restored to Britain in 1713 by the Treaty of Utrecht, the post was not re-established until 1730-32. Largely destroyed by fire in December 1735, it was rebuilt over the following two years. Long the Company's principal establishment on James Bay, its isolation was ended in 1932 by the completion of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway to Moosonee.

Location

In front of the Hudson's Bay Staff House, Front Street, Moose Factory

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Cochrane

Municipality: Moose Factory

Themes