Sandwich First Baptist Church 1851 - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Sandwich First Baptist Church 1851

Eleven freedom seekers from the American south formed the congregation of Sandwich First Baptist Church about 1840, calling themselves the Close Communion of Baptists. It was one of three founding churches of the Amherstburg Baptist Association (1841), a cross-border organization of black Baptists that is still active today. Until 1847, when they built a small log cabin, members of First Baptist worshipped in homes and outdoors. To build this church, they hewed lumber by hand and moulded bricks from Detroit River clay, firing them in a home-made kiln. The church was dedicated on August 1, 1851, the eighteenth anniversary of the passage of the Emancipation Act, which ended slavery throughout the British Empire.

Location

3652 Peter Street, Windsor

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Essex

Municipality: City of Windsor

Themes